Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall Favorites

Fall is my favorite season, as I've mentioned earlier. It's the start to the holidays, the end to the awful heat and the season for my some of my favorite things: pumpkins and sunflowers. I've just showed you my sunflowers, so here's a peak at my other favorite fall and Halloween things around my apartment.
The front door
I love candy pumpkins. Really, it's a problem.

Halloween place mats from my mom and basket of mini pumpkins to make the table festive.

Pumpkin on the balcony
This time of year also has me craving warm comfort foods. Since I've had time the past week I made up a batch of pumpkin butter and a veggie baked ziti from a wonderful website a fellow blogger brought to my attention. I also made an delish healthy apple bake for dessert. The other day I was craving my mom's warm and filling pea soup, so I got the recipe from her and made up a big pot of it. Here is her recipe, except I left out the ham. Try it, it's delish, healthy and so easy!


Pea Soup

1 bag of dried peas, rinsed
8 cups of water
l large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3+ carrots, cut up
2 bouillon cubes
1 lb. ham
pealed potatoes

Put peas in pot with water. Bring to a boil. Add all other ingredients except the potatoes. Bring to a simmer. Simmer about 2 hrs until the peas are soft and smooth. Add the cut up potatoes and simmer about another 30 minutes until they are cooked. And according to my mom "All ingredients are approximate -- also the cooking time. Just go for it!!" Oh, I love my mommy!


Share some of your favorite things about fall!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ohh, I haven't had Mom's pea soup in AGES. Isn't it funny how some tastes just stay with you? Your apartment is, as always, adorable. And you made me laugh with your "Really, it's a problem." Definitely not!