Saturday, February 26, 2011

Back On Track

Ok, confession. I've been a total slacker in my running lately. Lately as in I haven't ran in a couple weeks... a good, long couple weeks. At first the problem was the cold, rainy, windy and generally icky weather. Since I had to be out in that weather riding and teaching lessons I certainly didn't want to go back out into it once I got home. Then I was sick with a cold or two... excuses excuses. But then, sadly, it got to a point where I was actually afraid. Afraid that I'd let it go too long and that I'd have to go through the excruciating process of learning to run again. I was afraid that it would be hard again.

For the past week I would say, ok today's the day. But, I would never bite the bullet and just go. Then last night I had a dream. A dream where I was running, running and running like the wind up a hill and it was effortless. You know when you're even having dreams about running that it's time. I miss it. I forgot that one of the reasons I love running is that it is hard. I love the challenge and the power of my body. I love the burning lungs, aching muscles and pounding heart, and I love the wind in my hair.

And so this evening I ran. It felt great putting my running gear on and lacing up my running shoes. I kept thinking, "why have I put this off so long?" Evening or night is my favorite time to run. (I will never be one of those people who run well in the morning.) The sun was going down and making the clouds orange, pink and purple. The shadows were long in the remaining sunlight. It's my favorite time of day. I set off, determined not to push it too hard, to just enjoy myself. I didn't even wear my watch. I just wanted to get myself out there and back on track. After the first hill I felt my muscles and lungs starting to work and it just felt so good.

My run was awesome and I even sprinted in the last 1/4 mile. I can still run. I ran really well actually. I ran like no time had passed at all, except I was running without the usual pain in my knee and foot. Perhaps this break was actually just what I needed. I'll probably be sore tomorrow though!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Sounds heavenly! And you are probably right...a good, long break is sometimes what we need. I love how our brains subtly let us know when it is time for endorphins again by dreaming about running :)

Kate A said...

I feel the same way about running... and your words have inspired me to get out there and run after about a week and a half off! I keep trying to run in the heat of the day, which I never end up enjoying. I love running at night, too. There's something about feeling that power and strength coursing through you that makes you feel that, no matter what else is going on, that you are strong enough to handle anything.

I miss our walk/runs around the lake in Newport News. I have so many good memories of doing that together!

Mary said...

Good for you my Love! I understand completely what you mean about being afraid to start something up again after a longish time away. Finally deciding to start it up again feels like reconnecting with an old friend.