Saturday, January 29, 2011

Yeehaw

This weekend Montgomery Gentry came to Okinawa and the USO put on two free concerts at Kadena and Foster as well as did Meet and Greets and gave out free autographs. I'm not a huge country fan, but my friends were going and it's unusual for a big name group to come to Okinawa, so I decided to brave the rain and join the cowboy boot, camo hat wearing Southern rednecks and hillbillies (kidding - kind of) that have been transplanted to Okinawa and go to the concert. They had the concert in a hangar on Kadena, so at least we were able to get in out of the rain. I was very surprised at how many songs I knew or recognized! They put on a fantastic show for us. The air was thick with the smell of rain and alcohol permeating from extremely intoxicated flannel and huge belt buckle wearing concert goers, but we had a blast. Watching the joyous faces of the Marines and Airmen around me sing along to the songs and bop to the music made me so happy. Montgomery Gentry thanked the service members in a very special way by performing and providing this USO tour.


Today I got my hair done and ran over to the Exchange to pick up a few things. It turned out they were doing a Meet and Greet there and I ran into my friend who was there to meet them. I waited in line with her and then (even though I still had wet hair from getting my hair done and was totally not prepared to meet them or have my photo taken) I got to take my picture with them and got their autographs. Not something I ever thought I'd do, but when the opportunity arises, why not. And also, last night at dinner after the show a guitarist and a member of the sound crew were there and we thanked them for the concert. They were super nice guys!

No comments: