Friday, March 11, 2011

A Domestic Day

In case you were interested, this is why we thankfully didn't feel the earthquake or were effected by the tsunami. The blue arrow points to Okinawa.

We are still going in and out of tsunami warnings here on the island, so I'm staying home. I don't want to get stuck out like I did yesterday. And I want to be sure I'm home to take Gojou with me if they make us evacuate again.

So, since I'm home all day I'm taking the day to start my spring cleaning. I've been putting this off for awhile. I've been dreading this so much that I was considering hiring someone. I haven't lived anywhere for longer than a year in a long time, and well you can really tell we've been in this apartment for a year. It needs a really good deep cleaning. And I just haven't had the time or energy needed to make this happen.

So, today while sitting on my balcony relaxing and reading the rest of the Vogue from yesterday I decided to just dig in. Just start with one thing, cleaning the wall of glass windows on the balcony that were caked with dirt. So, that big job done, I moved on to the kitchen. I'm slowly making a bit of an impact. I'm still wishing for a 'mama san' to materialize and do this for me, but there's no reason I can't do it myself. Except that it's my day off and it's not at all what I'd like to be doing with my time.

I wonder how a woman of the 50's, say in the graphic to the left and below, would feel about my mentality about taking care of hearth and home. I wonder how she would feel about the Britney and Lady Gaga music coming through my iPhone, hair up in a messy bun and comfy leggings and tee outfit. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love dresses and high heels. The dress Brad bought me arrived and I LOVE it. I will not be cleaning it it. Ever.

Click on the picture below to read the article from 1955. Since I wouldn't want that woman from the 50's judging me, I'm not judging her. I'm all about loving my husband, but all I can say is thank God times have changed! I know that if Brad was home he'd be cleaning right beside me. Hurray for progress.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ive followed your blog for quite sometime but dont think I have ever left a comment and I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your posts...I started following since I love Japan and my husband is in the military...he's currently still in school but in December he will get his commission and will become an officer in the army..

anyways I just sort of day dream through your blog hoping we will be as lucky as you were to get stationed somewhere abroad...keep the good posts up!

Eve said...

Thank you so much for reading MarieLo! Congrats on your husbands upcoming commission. I'm sure you all will love where ever you get stationed. And even if you don't, the beauty of the military is that you probably won't be there too long. I love living abroad, I'm sure you will too!

Mary said...

Egad. Hooray for progress, indeed. That "Guide" is a riot. :) Good for you for making the most of your day off! I'm so glad the tsunami didn't reach Okinawa. <3