Saturday, March 19, 2011

"My love for you is deathless"

Last night as I was making cookies for the clean-up day at the barn today (more on this soon) this song came on my Pandora station and I don't know how Pandora always knows what to play me, but I really liked this song. Brad will be home in a few days, but this is how I feel when he's gone.



On our front door we have a white board where we write messages back and forth and where I remind Brad to grab his lunch before he goes off to work. Before Brad goes on a trip he has been leaving me little letters on the white board which I leave up for the whole duration of his trip. I see it every day, read it every day and love him more every day.

While his letters always top my list as my favorite, this is my favorite military letter of all time. This is the Civil War letter from Sullivan Ballou to his wife Sarah. I was surprised how easy it was to find on good 'ol youtube. They really do have everything on there. It will turn you into a bawling baby, so be ready, but it is one of the most beautiful letters ever. Ballou writes of his dedication to his wife and to his country, "Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly with all those chains to the battle field." I cry every time. I first remember hearing this letter as a child on my parents cassette tape of civil war music being played out of the boom box as they were painting my sisters room. Perhaps it was all the painting I did today that brought this letter up in my mind again. This letter has always stayed with me, perhaps it has helped shaped me into the military wife I am today. Enjoy. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Believe it or not, Dad and I were talking about Sullivan Ballou's letter on Sunday night. Our minds were in the same place. :)

Kate A said...

I have to tell you (because I am a Civil War nerd) that this YouTube video in from Ken Burn's documentary about the Civil War... I recognize the voiceover. I've read a lot of Civil War love letters, and mostly they're 1) hard to read because they're totally misspelled and 2) the guys are mostly writing home to ask their ladies to send the salt beef and mince pies. But I love this letter, too. This is why I still write letters: 'my love for you is deathless' just wouldn't have the same effect in an email!